Detroit-Style Pizza with Red Curry Tomato Sauce, Pepperoni and Thai Basil
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound frozen pizza dough, thawed
- 1 pound low moisture mozzarella cheese, cut into cubes
- 1 (6-ounce) package HORMEL? Cup N’ Crisp pepperoni
- 1 1/2 cups red curry pizza sauce (recipe follows)
- Thai basil, as desired
- Curry Tomato Sauce
- 1 onion, minced
- 1/3 cup red curry paste
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 (28-ounce) can peeled whole plum tomatoes
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon palm sugar or brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
Heat oven to 500°F. Position oven rack on the bottom of oven. Spread olive oil in Detroit-style pizza pan or 9×13-inch baking pan. Stretch pizza dough in pan, covering entire pan corner to corner. Top with cheese and half the pepperoni. Spoon sauce in three horizontal lines on top of pizza. Top with remaining pepperoni.
Bake 10 to 15 minutes or until dough is golden brown and cheese is crispy. Remove from oven and sprinkle with Thai basil. Cool slightly. Remove from pan using spatula. Cut into squares to serve. Serves 6.
Red Curry Tomato Sauce
In saucepan over medium heat, cook onion, curry paste and garlic in olive oil 5 to 7 minutes, stirring constantly. Add remaining ingredients; cook over medium-low heat 1 hour. Adjust salt, if needed.
Kimchi Pancake Pizza
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup rice flour
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onion
- 1/2 teaspoon Korean chili flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped kimchi
- 4 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 cup HORMEL? Cup N’ Crisp pepperoni
- 1/2 cup low-moisture shredded mozzarella cheese
- Bias sliced green onion, for garnish
Heat oven to broil. Place baking rack in sheet pan.
In bowl, whisk together, flour, cornstarch, rice flour, green onion, chili flakes, salt, water and kimchi.
In large nonstick skillet over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon oil. Add half the batter to skillet; spread evenly. Cook 4 minutes or until the bottom is crispy. Turn the pancake over and add 1 tablespoon oil to skillet allowing the oil to get underneath the pancake. Cook 4 minutes longer. Turn and cook 2 minutes. Turn once again and cook 2 minutes longer making sure pancake is crispy, but not burned. Remove from skillet and place on oven rack. Repeat with remaining batter and oil.
Spread pepperoni and cheese over each pancake. Broil 1 to 2 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden brown. Garnish with green onion. Cut each pancake pizza into 6 pieces. Serves 6.